Monday, 2 March 2015

LILY- Our Film Production Logo, Research and Design

As Lulu is working on the final edit of our film, I decided to make our titles and logo.

Here is all the research, planning and design into our production companies (LULI AND LULI) logo that I did.

Firstly I researched other production company logos, such as the ones below....








What I learn't from doing this research is that:

  • Many companies use film/cinema imagery in their logos, such as Rocky Mountain, using a film strip, or Reel Farm, uses a film reel.

  • All the small film production logos use simple block colours, instead of using complicated details, this makes the logos stand out more, catching viewers eyes. The majority use black and white, or white or black with one other colour such as Orange Reel.

  • Many of them use something natural in the name of their production company, such as an animal, Zebra Films,  Little Bird, or fruit like in Lime Films, Orange Reel. 


Initial Ideas For Our Production Company Logo



  • Initially my idea was to use a globe in our logo, this was because it is something associated with nature, like many logos have, and because Lulu and I are from different countries, it seemed appropriate.










  • Later I decided this was not a good idea, because I think having a globe would be too similar to major films production company, Universal's logo, and because of this I didn't want it to look tacky, or like I direct copy.


So instead I decided to go into photoshop and start experimenting, firstly writing the name of our company. 

I wanted to use a font that, was bold, simple and stood out, as all the logos researched had this feature. This is in the font 'Impact' 
And here in 'Silom.' I preferred it in the other font, so we decided to use that one.


I knew a feature I defiantly wanted to use was the idea of having a film strip in the logo, so after searching for a photo, of this to edit on the internet, I came across this one:

From this, I could see, the idea of making it personal, by placing our faces in it.

Lily 
Lulu 







We had these photos taken of each other to use for this.


Here is what I did to make the final product:
(screenshots taken from Lulu's photograph)

1) Using the magic wand tool to delete the background, leaving only her profile remaining. After making the back-drop red, to see easier what needed to be deleted.



2) After having only her head remaining, I recoloured and filled her head red, to make it into a silhouette.

3) Next I recoloured the red, to black.
4) After resizing it to fit, I inserted it into the other picture. 


5) Made it smaller slightly, again to make it fit even better, and then dragged it into the right-hand square. 

6) And finally I deleted the excess black at the end, highlighted in the photo above this one, to even it out.


And that is the finished production company logo.














No comments:

Post a Comment